Australia is Seeking US ER and Urgent Care Physicians
Send us your details if you are interested in an Emergency Medicine position (or similar). There is no cost for our recruitment service.
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Level: Registrar, Principal House Officer, Senior Medical Officer
Location: Australia Wide
Australia offers great opportunities to advance your Emergency Medicine training while earning a good salary and enjoying a great work life balance. “The Lucky Country” is massive and diverse, boasting world class healthcare and education, rich aboriginal culture, and world renowned multicultural cosmopolitan cities with a strong growing economy. It’s known to be nature’s sanctuary for wildlife and biodiversity. Come take photos with koalas and kangaroos, dive in the Great Barrier Reef, and sip through the flavours in the wine country of The Barossa Valley. Your Aussie adventures are calling.
There are both accredited (training) and non accredited positions available across the country to advance your career — these positions are mostly in regional and rural public hospitals, with some positions also available in metropolitan areas.
Generally, no exams are required for American doctors to be registered in Australia. However, you must have:
From the United States of America’s Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG):
- Successfully completed USMLE Step 1, 2 and 3; and
- Successfully completed a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the ACGME Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education
From the United States National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME)
- Successfully completed the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX-USA) Level 1, Level 2-Cognitive Evaluation, Level 2-Performance Evaluation and Level 3 from 2005, and
- Successfully completed a minimum of two years of graduate medical education within a residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and/or by the American Osteopathic Association.
- Hold or held a license to practice medicine in one 50 states, and the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rio, Guam or the US Virgin Islands
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical experience in Emergency, including your internship and residency
- Basic or Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification; Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certification; Advanced Trauma Life Support Certification
Approximate pay for doctors in Emergency Medicine and Urgent Care:
- Registrar, PHO [Principal House Officer], CMO [Career Medical Officer], SMO [Senior Medical Officer] is expected to earn between $90,000 to $250,000 per annum.
- Locum doctors in Emergency Medicine and Urgent Care earn between $100 to $200 per hour with ad hoc and ongoing assignments available throughout the country. Car, travel, and accommodation will be provided for each locum assignment.
Once you’ve obtained your Fellowship with ACEM:
- Consultant | Specialist in Emergency within the public sector will earn between $350,000 to $500,000 per annum.
- Locum Consultants | Specialists in Emergency earn between $2,000 to $3,500 per day with ad hoc and ongoing assignments available throughout the country. Car, travel, and accommodation will be provided for each locum assignment.
* Estimated Pay Package may vary. The salary range is based on a standard 40-hour workweek, excluding overtime and additional loading (if applicable). Examples of loading may include items such as relocation allowance, professional development allowance, and living away from home allowance. Your pay package will be determined upon a successful job offer.
Specialty Colleges you may consider training with once you’re settled in Australia include:
ACEM – Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
ACRRM – Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
RACGP – Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
CICM – College of Intensive Care Medicine
The job market is always changing. Every medical specialty and everyone’s situation is unique. You will need expert advice to help you navigate throughout the process from start to finish.
Send us your CV or Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org today and we’ll arrange a confidential discussion to explore the options that are right for you. Let us assist you every step of the way.